Want to be in the loop?
subscribe to
our notification
Business News
MOIT RECOMMENDS UNFINISHED WIND, SOLAR FARMS NEGOTIATE ENERGY PRICES
The Ministry of Industry and Trade (MoIT) has asked the Prime Minister about the mechanism for ongoing solar power and transitional wind power projects to enjoy the incentive price.
In a recent document sent to the PM, the MoIT suggested investors of those projects negotiate electricity prices and power purchase and sale contracts with Vietnam Electricity (EVN).
Of the total of 78,121 MW of installed capacity of electricity sources nationwide, there was 16,545 MW of solar power, including 8,904 MW of concentrated solar power and 7,660 MW of rooftop solar power and 4,126 MW of wind power that have been put into operation and have enjoyed the FIT (preferential purchase price) according to the Prime Minister’s decision.
However, the MoIT announced there were still many projects or parts of wind and solar power projects that had been implemented in practice but not been able to enjoy the FIT price in time.
Among them, 62 wind power projects with a total capacity of 3,479 MW had signed a power purchase agreement with EVN, but due to the expiration of the FIT price, could not set the electricity price.
At the same time, five projects with a total capacity of 452.62 MW were waiting for a determination of THE electricity price, while several other projects were in progress, said the ministry.
To avoid wasting social investment, the MoIT said: “It is necessary to determine the electricity price mechanism for projects.”
Accordingly, the ministry has proposed to the Prime Minister to completely solve the mechanism for the transition of wind power and solar power projects, remove difficulties for investors, and direct future wind and solar power projects.
Specifically, for transitional projects, the MoIT proposed the PM approve the mechanism reported in Document No. 17 from January 27, in which investors of transitional projects conduct electricity price negotiations and power purchase and sale contracts with EVN within the electricity generation price bracket and guidelines issued by the MoIT.
With the wind and solar power projects to be implemented in the future, the ministry proposed to approve the application of the electricity price negotiation mechanism and power purchase agreement similar to the transitional projects mentioned above, adding that it was to ensure the consistency of the legal corridor with the projects.
As for projects that have been recognised for commercial operation, the ministry proposed the PM issue a document to direct it to have a basis to guide the review of contracts between EVN and investors to harmonise the interests between the seller - the buyer - the electricity consumer and the state.
In addition, the ministry also requested the PM to annul Decision No 13 on the mechanism of solar power development, Decision No 37 and Decision No 39 on the mechanism of wind power development.
It was assigned to coordinate with the Ministry of Justice to prepare a Draft Decision, consult ministries and branches, and submit it to the PM for promulgation in accordance with the law.
Given the above proposals, the MoIT said as the legal basis for the EVN bidding for electricity purchase was unclear, the above proposals would ensure compliance with the law.
The ministry said the bidding mechanism for electricity purchase of projects that have investors and have been implemented in progress had not been regulated in legal documents, including the Law on Electricity, the Law on Prices, the Law on Bidding, and the Law on Bidding, Law on Property Auction and related guiding documents.
In addition, the MoIT also said that while it was complying with the bidding plan to buy electricity, it received lots of feedback from investors.
Most reacted strongly, expressing disagreement that the bidding for power purchase over several years did not have a solid legal basis, affecting the calculation of cash flow and the ability to pay back the capital and repay the bank debt of implemented projects.
Source: VIR
Related News
REAL TEST - NOT JUST WORDS
A truly fireproof bag must prove itself through action. SentrySafe FBWLZ0 was put to the test under flames reaching 1,300-2,000°C. Constructed with 4 layers of high-quality materials — not just for marketing, but for real protection. When risks happen, what you need is reliable protection. SentrySafe FBWLZ0 – safeguarding what matters most, even in extreme conditions.
EXCLUSIVE HKBAV MEMBER OFFER DISCOUNT: 15% OFF
Eligibility: HKBAV membersPromotion: Special offer for the 2026 Mid-Autumn FestivalHow to enjoy the discount: Please mention that you are an HKBAV member when placing your order.
TECHNOLOGY ASSESSMENT IN THE CONTEXT OF INNOVATION AND GREEN TRANSFORMATION
Vietnam's new vision on strategic foreign direct investment means that the work of Vinacontrol Group in terms of technology assessment is deemed more vital than ever. Vinacontrol Group is currently one of only two organisations nationwide designated by the Ministry of Science and Technology to conduct technology assessment under Decision No.29/2023/QD-TTg, placing it at the centre of a process that increasingly determines whether an investment project can proceed, be adjusted, or be extended.
HO CHI MINH CITY OUTLINES PLANS TO START FOUR MORE METRO LINES
Ho Chi Minh City People’s Committee plans to begin construction on four metro lines by the end of 2026, which is part of the plan to complete 255km of metro lines by 2030. The first line, which connects Binh Duong New City with Suoi Tien, covers a length of over 32km, with an estimated investment of $2.18 billion. The line will pass through seven wards.
VIETNAM TARGETS 50,000 AI-SKILLED PROFESSIONALS FOR KEY SECTORS BY 2030
Vietnam is stepping up efforts to build an AI-ready workforce, targeting 50,000 skilled professionals and 10,000 advanced specialists by 2030 to strengthen strategic industries. Deputy Prime Minister Le Tien Chau signed Decision No.1528/QD-TTg, dated August 11, approving the National Programme on Artificial Intelligence Human Resource Development through 2030, with a vision to 2035.
DUNG QUẤT EZ, QUẢNG NGÃI IPS DRAW NEARLY US$19.4 BLN
The Dung Quất Economic Zone and Quảng Ngãi industrial parks have so far attracted 441 projects worth around US$19.4 billion, according to the Dung Quất Economic Zone and Quảng Ngãi Industrial Parks Authority (DEZA). The DEZA now has 350 projects run by 293 companies, employing nearly 81,700 workers, while about 20,000 additional experts, engineers and workers are building mega projects, according to data presented at a workshop marking the authority’s 30th anniversary recently.
























